I’m getting ready to print another round of “By Starlight,” this time on the excellent washi I received from my friends at Mokuhankan, for sale in their shop. When I printed the first batch, I didn’t take notes. So I did a small run on Shin Torinoko (machine made washi) to test out colors.
First I cleaned up the blocks. They were carved mostly with v-gouges and u-gouges, so were quite rough.
After the first few impressions, things are looking really saturated and bright:
I did my best to tame the saturated color with Payne’s Gray. Here is a comparison with one of the original prints, which is on the bottom.
There’s too much yellow in the center, I believe, and the water near the horizon is too green. The upper part of the sky and the lower part of the water look pretty good though! I will do another test before the official printing. But I am happy with how smooth I was able to get the printing in the test prints.
2 thoughts on “Test prints for “By Starlight””
Great to see your prints on Dave’s twitch plus his praise … nice work
Thank you so much!